10.20.2008

Autumn Album

Well, I mentioned a few days ago that I was having a really good time embossing on pop cans and cutting fun embellishments with the Big Shot...so it's no surprise that I created another embossing-on-a-pop-can project :-)



I LOVE how this turned out! The leaves look engraved on the aluminum!



This look was so easy to create! All I did was use the Versamark ink pad to randomly stamp the leaf image from "Best Wishes & More" on the aluminum pop can. Then I covered the stamped images with clear embossing powder. I shook off the excess powder and heated the can. Be careful! Aluminum is a heat conductor (at least I learned something in Chemistry...). I just set my can on top of a piece of scrap paper on the ground to emboss it. I made sure it was cool before I picked it up :-)

Then to make the fun album, I used the cardboard that comes in the back of every package of Designer Series Paper and cut pieces that were 4" x 5". I adhered the pop can to one side (good side facing out), and adhered a piece of DSP to the other side of the cardboard. The cardboard was completed covered and only served as a sturdy "core" piece for my album.

Once all the layers were adhered together, I put the pop can/cardboard/DSP (all adhered together and all at one time) into the Big Shot on top of the Top Note die. Ta-da! The album cover! I cut three more pages just like this (except with DSP on both sides of the card stock). I then used my Crop-a-Dile to punch through all 4 pages (yes, all at the same time--a total of 4 pieces of cardboard, 7 sheets of DSP, and a pop can!!). I used 1-5/8" Chocolate Chip grosgrain ribbon to hold the album together. Yay! Now all I need are some Autumn pictures :-)

Here are a couple other similar albums I have made (no embossing on these):



I made this album for my friend after her bachelorette party and mailed it to her as a little memento from the evening. I used the pop can for the cover and the Pretty In Pink Prints DSP for the album pages.




We always refer to our family as "The Fam." I guess it's kinda an inside joke, but really I just ran out of room to write the whole word "family" in chipboard :-) Here's the inside page of this album. I really like this image on the DSP from the Sweet Always Designer Series Paper pack:



If you'd like to use the Big Shot to make an album like this of your own, be sure to register for the Topeka Big Shot class coming this Thursday, October 23rd at my mom's house. Contact me for more info!

Happy Stamping!



2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Cari

What do you use to cut the cans? I'm having trouble breaking through the top "lip" of the can and wondered if you would share your secret for cutting them so nicely.

Thanks,
Judi

Anonymous said...

Cari - I think you should be honest and just say that they are diet dr. pepper cans and not just "pop" cans!