1.30.2009

File Box Tutorial

Sorry I didn't get this up yesterday. My day got out of control way faster than I anticipated. I hardly even saw my husband! Now I'm off to Bonner Springs for a 42-hour crop with my mom. I'm way excited, and I hope to have lots of stuff to share with you when I return next week!

Now, for that tutorial...

Here is the box itself:



You will need one sheet of 8-1/2" x 11" card stock and a strip of DSP 12" x 2". Begin by cutting the paper into two pieces, one will be 8-1/2" x 6" and the other will be 8-1/2" x 5". Score the 8-1/2" x 6" piece at 2" all the way around. Then score each corner 2" x 2" square diagonally. Then place four small strips of sticky strip as pictured below:



Flip the paper over and place 4 more pieces of sticky strip as pictured:



Fold each of the four corners in and adhere them in place to make the bottom of the box.









The box top is a bit more tricky :-) You'll take your piece of card stock that is 8-1/2" x 5" and score at 3-3/16" along each short edge. You will end up with three sections: 5" x 3-3/16", 5" x 2-1/8", and 5" x 3-3/16". You will then place one score line on the 1/2" mark on your cutter, and the bottom point of your paper on the 1-1/4" mark on your cutter:







This cut will make the diagonal edge of the box top. Flip your paper over and make the same cut on the other side. Your paper should end up like this:



Once you're done with your box top, adhere it to the outside of the box bottom. Finally, adhere your DSP strip along the bottom to cover the seams. The box will be too big to cover completely with a 12" strip of DSP. For my box, I just put the DSP around the front and both sides. The ribbon wraps all the way around.

This box is a little tricky, but once you figure it out, it is GREAT gift to make in bulk. Since it only uses one sheet of card stock, it's economical as well! The box will hold cards that are 4-1/4" x 4-1/4", and will hold at least 6-8 cards comfortably. Let me know if you have questions!

Happy Stamping!



No comments: