10.04.2011

Fall Time

Yep, it's official. The trees are changing colors, the weather is getting cooler, and I spend all my Saturdays wearing purple and watching football. Since my house was still decorated for the 4th of July (and the only reason it was even decorated for the 4th was because I decorated before Charlotte was born...), I thought it was maybe time to bust out the fall decor. For the record, fall and Christmas decor is my FAVORITE! I have tons (compared to my decor for other seasons) of decorations for both seasons, so I always love unpacking my boxes and finding new fun ways of decorating.

This year's decorating experience was even more fun than usual because of Pinterest. Yes, I caved. It's worse than Facebook (in terms of "black hole" capabilities). Anyway, I found a super cute idea that ended in my going immediately to the convenience store located in the basement of our building to buy a bag of dried split peas. The hubs thought I was crazy...well, I'm sure he already thought that but he told me so when I insisted on buying peas for my fall decorations.

Okay, so I did use some Stampin' Up! stuff for my decor (hence the reason for my post...you knew I'd get there). The main thing I used was my Big Shot (which, by the way, is currently FREE to new demonstrators in October!) with the Leaves #2 die and the Square Lattice textured impressions embossing folder. I also used a new yummy color combo, Cajun Craze, More Mustard, Old Olive, and Soft Suede. Love it!



The thing I'm probably most proud of in my fall decorations is this amazing idea, compliments of my little sis. For her wedding in June, she put her wedding monogram on her unity candle. GET OUT! I had no idea you could do this! Anyway, I remembered how cool it was and wanted to put a Bible verse on one of my candles. I called her IMMEDIATELY and got the instructions:

  1. Print or stamp you image on white tissue paper (like the tissue paper you would use to stuff in a gift bag). I designed my image in Word and used the font colors that matched my color combo from above.
  2. Cut out your image (trim close to the edges of the image).
  3. Place the image on your candle where you want it and wrap waxed paper around the candle to hold the tissue paper in place.
  4. Use a heat gun to slightly melt the candle, thus melting your tissue paper into the candle. Once you see the candle get glossy, that area is done.
  5. Peel off the waxed paper.

Easy peasy!



This was my Pinterest idea (for which I needed that vital bag of dried split peas):



I've got several other areas in my little apartment with little hints of fall, but I don't have any pics. So my house isn't perfect, nor are my decorations, but it was fun to do what I could! Enjoy!

-Cari

No comments: